Saturday, March 31, 2012

Update from New York!

     Words cannot describe how blessed I am to have come to New York on a mission. Since I've been here, I have marveled at the lights of Time Square, grieved in the sight of the Freedom towers, which is also the site of the now demolished World Trade Centers. I have seen the high lifes of District Soho, which is a very upscale neighborhood. I've been to Central Park, and seen John Lennon's memorial. This all seems fun, and to be honest, it was. But, New York has a flip side, and I saw it yesterday during Harlem outreach.

     During Harlem outreach, the NYDC came together and offered the poor and less fortunate a bite to eat, and some hot chocolate for the bitter coldness. In Alabama, we had about two weeks of coldness. I've been wearing my jacket everywhere I go here. Anyways, as we were preparing to hand out food, an ex-convict started stirring up chaos with another man in the line, and we had to seperate them before they fought. We got the ex-convict some food, and led him away to talk with him. My part during the outreach? Dispense the soup, which was basically chicken flavored Ramens. I absolute loved and enjoyed meeting new people, and being able to give them food- something they literally hunger for. I thought I had seen it all until I met a man named Jose.

     Jose had come through the line for food, and I handed him some "dry soup," which is just soup without water. He walked away, and had another member of the NYDC pray with him. But, God kept him there longer... and for a reason, too. As the NYDC crew loaded up and took off, Chris and I began walking back to our apartment (only a few blocks down from Harlem). Jose was still standing by, and I had noticed he had actually walked away. When I saw him bring out a tissue, I knew something was wrong with him. Chris and I approached him, and started talking to him more. The life he lives of going from one shelter to another, constantly running out of medication, struggling to stay alive- it broke my heart. I wanted to pack him up, and bring him home back to Alabama. He is desperate for a job, but because of his "social status" and many disabilities, he's only able to rely on welfare.

     I tell his story to say this- I never realized how good I actually have it until I met Jose. Here I am, with a steady home life- struggling, yet steady. And, this guy has no idea IF he'll get a bed at the next shelter, where they happen to just turn you away to the cold if they're full. I have an okay food supply. This guy relies on outreaches like the NYDC to feed him. The guy NEVER begs for money, and even tried turning away the money I gave to him. He's a humbled man, yet knows he's struggling. So, as we were leaving, I got to pray for Jose, and just bless him. As I walked away, my heart started to break. The last words I told Jose were "If I never see you again, you're face is forever engraved in my heart." And, he was off.

     Here I am, a block from the Freedom towers now, sitting in a Starbucks, and I'm realizing how blessed I am. God has blessed me with so much.

     I'm looking forward to coming home, and seeing everybody! I know this blog was long, but I'm glad you read it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment