Saturday, December 29, 2012

Reflection Time

     It's been one week since I've been home from Los Angeles, CA. I've had a lot going through my head as I think back at what I saw and heard. I shook the hands that were digging in garbage dumpsters a few hour prior, or maybe the hand of someone who just injected drugs into their veins. I hugged the cold neck of a woman who is so far away from home, and the cruel life of homelessness has left her with little to no hope of ever finding her way back to El Salvador. With nothing left to do, I broke down. All I could do is pull my glasses over my eyes, and let the tears roll. It was a long, quiet ride back to the Dream Center that day. The same day we handed out food on Skid Row, and then blankets in a small little park.
     Rosita. The name is still clear in my mind. She's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. The hard life of homelessness has left her with little faith. She sits in the sun, hoping it will warm her of what very little heat it gave off in the bitter, cold winds of the California winter. When I shook her hand the first time I met her, her hands were so cold. I took her a second plate of food, looked her in the eye, and told her clearly, "This is not the end. God has a beautiful plan for you." A few days later, I handed her a blanket, and she looked me in the eyes, and it broke my heart. It was as if she knew what I had said, yet did not believe it. Homelessness isn't something people are suffering from due to irresponsibility. It's become a mindset and a lifestyle.
     I can't help but to think about how fortunate I am - to have a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and food in my mouth. I thought I've had it hard my whole life. Seeing the streets of Los Angeles placed a new perspective in my heart. I'm thankful. I've taken what little I've been blessed with for granted. I still have a loving mom and dad, I have my car, an education, and so much more. How dare I be so ungrateful?
     I pray that someone reads this, and realized how blessed they are. Never take for granted something that GOD Himself blessed you with. In no time, it could be taken away. Hug your mom and dad everyday. Tell them you love them. Bless that person in need. Find a need, and fill it; find a hurt, and heal it.

No comments:

Post a Comment