Monday, September 10, 2012

I remember September 11th.

     It was Tuesday, September 11, 2001, 6:30 AM. I'm awoken by the booming voice of my father, "Wake up, it's time for school," in the sing-songy way he used to do it. Why'd he say it like that? It never made sense to me, plus he worried me saying it like that. So, I jump in the shower, gel my hair, get dressed, and pretty much, I'm looking pretty good, if I should say so myself. So, it's out the door, in the car, and heading to school! With my headphones in and listening to my new CD player I had gotten, I was feeling on top of the world. It was a beautiful days outside, I was happy, and more than ever, I had made the decision to ask my first girl to be my girlfriend (the cootie shot finally wore off). 
     Advisory class was never fun. We met for thirty minutes, then proceeded to our next class. That day was no different. I clearly remember sitting at my desk with my soon-to-be girlfriend, nervous, palms sweating as I slipped her a piece of paper. "I would like to be your boyfriend. Will you be my girlfriend? Check __Yes or __No." Simple as that. While waiting on my response, I couldn't help but notice that numerous students had been checked out. What? School has only been in session for like an hour? No fair! Cuz, I'm still here. I also couldn't help but notice that a crowd of teachers had surrounded the television in my teacher's classroom. I got out of my chair, looked to see what they were watching, and all I saw was a silver structure and smoke. My initial thought, "Oh, nice. A new factory has opening, and the smoke signaled the official opening." Wrong.
     I sat back down in my seat, and I noticed a paper on my desk. My answer! Score one for Cody, my first girlfriend! About that exact same time, I'm checked out. Score two for Cody, checked out early. I walk down the very empty halls to meet my dad, and I find him distraught. He calmly explains what had happened, and that's when I realized America was under attack. As we drove home, I'm mortified by the news on the radio. I couldn't believe someone could be so evil.
     When we arrived at home, of course we turn on the television, and see footage of terrorist burning American flags. It was a complete outrage. Quite frankly, I was scared.
     In March 2012, I had the honor of flying to New York to work with the New York Dream Center. The NYDC is committed to helping out the inner cities during times of crisis. While on that trip, I got to visit what is now called the Freedom Towers. Bigger than ever, they scale the horizon of New York with a reflective beauty I've never seen before. They may have fallen easy, but they came back stronger. I also got to visit the memorial site of where the two towers stood, now thirty feet waterfalls. I'm amazing of the beauty of the sites. Around the pools are the names of the deceased... Hundreds... Thousands. Wives. Husbands. Co-workers. Friends. All gone in an instance.
     Yes, I remember September 11, 2001, a day that changed America. God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment